PIAZZA ARMERINA

 

The history of the city of Piazza (Armerina was added in 1862) began in the Norman period, but its territory was inhabited since prehistoric times, as shown by the archaeological findings of Monte Navone and, above all, Mountain of March. The city had to be  flourishing in Roman times, as is evidenced by the splendid Villa Romana del Casaleof the beginning of the fourth century AD, with its mosaic floors priceless. The city had to be flourishing in Roman times, as is evidenced by the splendid Villa Romana del Casale of the beginning of the fourth century AD,with its mosaic floors priceless.
Over the centuries it has undergone ups and downs, but has always played political roles of prestige and its cultural and economic life has always been very active, earning the nickname of ` " opulent city " the part of the Emperor Charles V. Great was the company that time came the Normans in Sicily around 1060, led by Count Roger d'Altavilla, last son of Tancred and brother of Robert Guiscard said.
The conquest of the Isle dominated by the Arabs appeared as a religious holy war of liberation: the Pope Nicholas II gave, in fact, to Roger, as a sign of investiture and hope for deliverance from Saracen domination, a cloth with the image of Our Lady and Child, painted, they say, by the hand of St. Luke.
The banner of war, was the signum victoriae that brought victory to victory  Ruggero until Plutia (was the ancient Piazza Armerina), which was raised to the square d `arms of the Norman army.
So it was that the Count gave Norman the city, which was connected by a bond of the covenant, the banner received from the Pope, who was soon considered miraculous and the object of popular worship.

Agriturismo Il Gigliotto 
Surrounded by green hills, on a marvelous hill hanging between time and space, it rises the Agriturismo Gigliotto, a fief of 300 hectares of fertile lands cultivated following the peasant tradition.
Located in the heart of the land of the sun, ideally located for trips to Taormina, Agrigento, Siracusa, Noto, Ragusa Ibla, the farm boasts surroundings of tourist attractions such as Piazza Armerina with its famous Roman Villa del Casale, Caltagirone, famous for its old town and its pottery, Morgantina, a Greek city with the agora and a wonderful theater.
The farm-house, an ancient monastery of 1300, develops all around a sicilian of which 14 comfortable rooms and a large dining room, a place of magic among the scents and flavors of Sicilian cuisine based on products biological, accompanied with wine produced with grapes of Nero d'Avola.
In the past, the territory of Ganzaria was one big feud. In 1296 it belonged to William Padula. Under the Aragonese passed to the family, the Gravina split it in many parts of the estate to sell. In 1794, Michele Gravina sold to the Bonanno Silvio Gigliotto. Since then the feud remains the Bonanno family. The last hit was Francesco Paolo Bonanno, Prince of Lingfield and Baron Gigliotto.
In 1990 the estate was bought by the family Savoca
 


Agriturismo Gigliotto Camera Doppia Agriturismo Gigliotto Il Baglio

Agriturismo GigliottoLa Piscina Agriturismo Gigliotto Veduta